- Routers by default breakup broadcast domain and it is helps to connect to WAN (Wide-Area-Network),
- Routers are using something called a serial interface for WAN Connection (V.35 physical interface on a cisco router)
Why we need to breakup broadcast domain?
Breaking up a broadcast domain is very important because now you have to send a "Network Broadcast" to a another host on a network, Some how you have sent the network broadcast to the host in other words every hosts in a network read and process the particular network broadcast message.
- Routers are not only breaking up the broadcast domain but also collision domain as well.
2 Main advantages of using a router
- They don't forward broadcast domain by default.
- They can filter the network based on Layer 3 (We will talk about Layer functions and OSI layers later)
4 Functions of a Router
- Packet Switching - Router also defined as "layer 3 Switches". use for logical addressing that's why we called as packet switching.
- Packet Filtering and Internetworking - Router also packet filtering to using access list.when two or more routers in a networks together use logical addressing (IP -IPV4 Or IPV6 ) What is called Internetwork
- Path Selection - Routers are using a Routing table (map of the internetwork) to make path selections and forward packets to remote network.
( I just gave you 3 on the above list but in the 2nd option you'l lsee packet filtering and internetworking, i just combined two options as one)
Maybe You have a Question Like This - How much broadcast needs to a network?
Actually this is question when i asked in forums when i'm newbie still i'm newbie- I'm taking CCENT so this blog is very helpful to provide the useful notes for your cert exams indeed. so this is the answer,
Always keep in mind - Broadcast domains on how you segmented a network..